Ericsson is the world’s largest telco switch manufacturer. They partnered with Banyan Mobile to build a multi-channel music on-demand platform, similar to Spotify or Pandora, but before either of these existed in 2010.
Ericsson was looking to offer value added multi-tenant, white-labeled music services at a competitive rate without making a large investment and within a short period of time. These services were to be made available on EDGE/GPRS/2G streaming, web, smartphones, tablets, Wifi, and via IVR -- with full voice recognition capabilities for music in multiple languages and across genres.
A J2ME application providing programmed channels as Radio stations for low-end Nokia phones. A recommendation engine helped users create, manage and listen to playlists easily and efficiently.
The primary competition at the time was iTunes, which was not available outside of the Apple iOS platform, and had no cloud component at the time. Ericsson leveraged this solution to provide value added services to its Telco clients.
- Headless Drupal architecture
- RTSP Audio Streaming
- Recommendation Engine
- Drupal Taxonomy
- Interactive Voice Response (IVR)
- Ability to manage bit related content (meta data of 150 fields)
- Library of 2 million songs, fully indexed and searchable
- Providing flexibility for users to listen to their favorite music via a mobile voice plan or regular land line or on the web. Listeners can stream via their data plans.
- Enhanced user experience, providing a network and device agnostic service.
- Listeners can interact with the Radio via DTMF (touch tone) or Voice Recognition (i.e., just speak into the handset).
- User can search, listen or share music with others that have similar interest across any medium of their choice and switch between the mediums seamlessly.
- Web/CMS: Drupal
- Mobile: iOS, Android, Blackberry, Windows, J2ME (phone and tablet form factors)
- LAMP stack: Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP Drupal
- QA/PM: Selenium, Appium, Jira Confluence
- Voice: DTMF (touch tone), VXML, Asterisk, Interactive Voice Recognition (IVR --Genesys), Text to speech (TTS)